Summer is almost over and the nights are getting cooler – that means it’s the perfect time for campfires with the family, where everyone roasts a marshmallow and builds a messy but delicious s’more. A crunchy graham cracker, melty chocolate, and a gooey, slightly burnt marshmallow with a smokey flavor from the fire – there’s nothing that says late summer nights better than a s’more.
Unfortunately, as adults, our bodies may not be able to handle a handful of sugar and fat like they used to. So what is another option that you can truly indulge in without the guilt while your kids are making memories around the fire? Tidbits healthy meringue cookies are the perfect thing! They are perfectly sweet, crunchy, and have a melt-in-your-mouth texture, but none of the sugar or fat that a marshmallow contains.
Let’s take a closer look at the differences between Tidbits meringue cookies and marshmallows or s’mores.
Even though they’re a childhood favorite treat, the ingredients used to make a s’more are definitely less than nutritious. And while people make s’mores differently, they generally include one marshmallow, two small rectangles of chocolate, and one graham cracker – which adds up to nearly 100 calories.
- Marshmallow: A single marshmallow contains 23 calories, four grams of sugar, and is made with corn syrup, cornstarch, gelatin, tetrasodium pyrophosphate (a whipping aid), and natural and artificial flavors.
- Chocolate: There are 13 calories in two mini rectangles of Hershey’s milk chocolate candy. Hershey’s chocolate bars are made with cane sugar, milk, chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, lecithin, and natural flavors.
- Graham Crackers: In one large rectangular piece of plain, honey, or cinnamon graham crackers, there are 59 calories, 1.4 grams of fat, and 4.4 grams of sugar.
Tidbits Healthy Meringue Cookies
While the kids are building their s’mores, you can open up a pouch of meringue cookies! These sweet bites are a great compromise when you want something for dessert, but don’t want to feel the weight of an entire s’more (or two).
- Each Tidbit meringue cookie contains less than two calories! They don’t contain any sugar, they are fat-free, and are made with only natural ingredients. In addition, they are gluten-free, lactose-free, and certified GMO-free!
- Tidbits also come in a variety of flavors, including strawberry, mint chocolate, chocolate, cookies and cream, vanilla, and cappuccino.
For one s’more, which is close to 100 calories, you can eat two whole pouches of Tidbits meringues!
At Tidbts, we think it’s OK if you want to treat yourself to a s’more, this time of year only comes around once! But if you’re looking for a sweet treat that you can indulge in every day without feeling guilty, give Tidbits healthy meringue cookies a try!